Monday, February 6, 2017

2017 January Music Report Card

Alright, so I can't bring myself to post a music post every week.  It's too much work, but what I'd like to do (cross your fingers I stick with it) is write up a little summary of the month in music with my picks (from that month's crop) for the big three with The Grammys (SOTY, ROTY, AOTY).  

January already started us off well, with a few GREAT albums and some songs that I expect to hang on to for at least the majority of the year.

Let's start with SOTY (which honors songwriting and musical composition).

05 ~ Give [You Me At Six]


04 ~ You're Gonna Live Forever in Me [John Mayer]





03 ~ Advice [Kehlani]


02 ~ Lights Off [Charlie Cunningham]


01 ~ Lips [The xx]



Moving on to ROTY (which honors the best overall song of the year).

05 ~ Utopia [Austra]


04 ~ In a Body Like a Grave [Japandroids]


03 ~ Lights Off [Charlie Cunningham]


02 ~ Lips [The xx]


01 ~ In My Feelings [Kehlani]


And then we have the big one, AOTY!

05 ~ Future Politics [Austra]


Like Florence Welch gone electronica, Austra's new album does not disappoint.  Beautifully composed and delicately diverse from track to track.

04 ~ 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory [Dropkick Murphys]


Swift kicks to the eardrums; these high energy pieces create a cohesive and rambunctious album that surprises from start to finish.

03 ~ Lines [Charlie Cunningham]


Pure atmospheric sound, just a beautiful composition from start to finish.

02 ~ SweetSexySavage [Kehlani]


Like the ghost of TLC, this album is straight up 90's pop/r&b perfection, with a Rihanna edge.  

01 ~ I See You [The xx]


As a fan of their previous work, this is their MASTERwork; so much texture and depth and diversity here.  A truly passionate album.

6 comments:

  1. Ugggh you love The XX too?! Yay! So this is cool! And I didn't know you were gonna do a weekly thing? I'm thinking on doing a thing about the books I've been reading, but I'm a pathetic literary critic. Also, how're you doing Drew? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only new record I have is the new xx but because my sound in my laptop isn't that great. I haven't had the chance to listen to it. I tried to do something monthly in my music blog but it's now shelved at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool recap for monthly music, especially for someone like me who can never keep up with all the releases. I rely too much on the radio.
    By the way, I nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award! https://sgliput.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/the-mystery-blogger-award-courtesy-of-drew/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really missed but I hope all is going well with you and that you are happy🌷

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOpe all is going well for you Drew, we all miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete